Sometimes I like to pretend that I actually enjoy eating healthy.
On those rare occasions, I whip up a quick salad loaded with a bunch of delicious ingredients like nuts and cheese and of course an egg on top, because why not? I know what you must be thinking, “Cheese on a salad isn’t healthy!” You’re right. It isn’t, but it’s important to live a little every once in a while. The cheese on this salad is me living a little. Join me.
There are a few easy steps we have to take care of before we actually get to eating this delicious salad. The first one is roasting the asparagus.
Place the asparagus on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to evenly coat. Bake in a preheated 425ºF oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the asparagus is bright green and crispy on the edges.
Next step is to slice the strawberries and throw them into a bowl. Toss with some of the balsamic vinegar reduction, salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes to marinate.
Fry a few eggs to go on top (if you want to go that route). The last step is to toast a handful of sliced almonds. Lightly toast in a dry skillet over low heat until golden brown.
Once all those steps are done, you’re ready to assemble the salad.
The great thing about this Roasted Asparagus Salad is that you can eat it at room temperature. It doesn’t have to be served hot. It’s the perfect filling meal for lunch or a light dinner. Enjoy!
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place asparagus on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until bright green and crispy at the edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Pour the balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pot and cook over low heat until reduced to half. Allow to cool. In a large bowl, combine the sliced strawberries, cooled balsamic vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Toss to evenly coat.
- Fry the eggs in a hot skillet with a bit of butter, and cook them the way you like it.
- To assemble the salad: lay down the asparagus and top with balsamic strawberries, crumbled feta, toasted almonds and with the fried eggs. Enjoy!