Although these banana split cupcakes don’t actually have ice cream in them, they are awfully cute and still have the same flavors and ingredients we know and love from traditional banana splits! Banana cake topped with frosting and all of the ice cream sundae fixings, it’s like heaven in cupcake form.
I really like these cupcakes because not only do they taste great, but they are also really easy to make and put together. We’re just taking a store bought white cake mix and adding mashed bananas to it. For fluffier cupcakes, try adding a bit of baking powder and baking soda to the batter as well!
Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled, we’re ready to assemble them. Top with a scoop of frosting to make it look like an ice cream scoop. Then drizzle with hot fudge sauce. Make it rain down sprinkles and finish it off with a cherry on top!
You can store the cupcakes in the fridge until ready to eat! If you want to take these over the edge and really want to incorporate ice cream into it, you can omit the frosting and just top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Although, those will need to be eaten right away, which shouldn’t be a problem. Enjoy!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 rip bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 containers white frosting
- ½ cup hot fudge sauce (ice cream topping)
- ¼ cup colored sprinkles
- maraschino cherries, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cupcake tins with liners, set aside.
- Combine the cake mix, water, eggs, oil, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl and mix until smooth. Fold in the mashed bananas. Scoop into the prepared cupcake tins, filling them about ¾ of the way up. Bake for about 18 to 21 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick, inserted in the center, comes out clean. Allow to cool down completely.
- Using an ice cream scooper, top with a scoop of frosting. Drizzle each with hot fudge sauce (do not warm it). Top with sprinkles and a cherry on each. Eat right away or store in the fridge until ready to eat. Enjoy!