Rachel has had this idea for Tortilla Pie for a while now and I’ve finally had the opportunity to make it here at The Chic HQ. It’s easy to make and super delicious. Flour tortillas layered with seasoned ground sirloin, corn, spinach, and of course cheese! The perfect weeknight dinner.
The first thing we need to do is get the ground sirloin filling ready. Start by browning the beef in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
Add in the remaining ingredients, stir and cook until everything is well combined.
Feel free to use fresh corn if it is in season. Just cut of the kernels off of the cob. If you don’t have time for that, use the frozen corn like I did!
Now we’re ready to layer our tortilla pie. Start by greasing a pie dish or a 9-inch springform pan. Then place one medium flour tortilla on the bottom. Layer some of the ground beef mixture on top and sprinkle with cheese. Then repeat for three more layers, ending with a flour tortilla and cheese!
Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pie is warmed through and the cheese on top has melted.
Cut into wedges and serve hot! Garnish each slice with a dollop of sour cream, and a sprig of cilantro! You can serve it alongside a tossed green salad or white rice. Enjoy!
- 4 medium flour tortillas (about 10-inches)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 small brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen (or fresh) corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups cheddar-jack cheese, shredded
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie dish or springform pan, set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and cook the ground beef until browned. Add the chopped onion, garlic and seasonings and cook for about 5 minutes or until they have softened. Add in the chopped spinach and corn and cook until the spinach has wilted. Stir in the tomato paste. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Place one flour tortilla in the prepared dish. Spoon some of the ground beef mixture, spreading it out evenly. Top with cheese, and repeat with another flour tortilla, more ground beef and cheese. Continue in this manner with the remaining two layers. Finish with a flour tortilla on top and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and the cheese has melted on top. Cut into wedges and serve with a garnish of sour cream and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!