We’re keeping up with our New Year’s resolution to stay on the eating healthy track! This Mediterranean Quinoa Salad is loaded with tons of fresh veggies and it’s super easy to make! In less than 30 minutes, you’ll have a healthy vegetarian side dish that you can feel good about serving your family!
The first thing we need to do is cook the quinoa and brown rice mixture. I couldn’t find quinoa by itself at the grocery store so I just used two of those boxed rice mixes. The one I used was a quinoa and brown rice mixture. I threw away the seasoning packets and just cooked the grains according to the package directions.
Once the quinoa and brown rice has cooled completely. Toss it into a large mixing bowl and add in the fresh chopped veggies, basil and feta.
Drizzle in as much or as little of the balsamic vinaigrette as you’d like. I just used a store bought vinaigrette, nothing too fancy here! You can go simple by just dressing it with a light drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar!
Toss to evenly combine, and season with salt and black pepper if needed!
You can chill the salad in the fridge for a bit to develop it’s flavors, or you can serve it right away. It’s a great side dish to many meals like chicken or grilled steak, even fish!
Just because we want to eat healthy doesn’t mean we have to give up on taste! Healthy food doesn’t have to be sad and scary. This salad proves that it can actually be rather delicious!
This also happens to make for a great simple lunch with a few slices of pita bread or even pita chips! I sometimes don’t like to eat a heavy lunch, especially during the day when I’m working so this is my go-to lunch on days when I just want something healthy and light to snack on!
- 2 (4.9 oz) boxes quinoa and brown rice blend (Near East Brand)
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- Bring the water, oil and salt to a boil. Stir in the quinoa and brown rice (discarding the seasoning blend from the box, we don't need those). Lower the flame and simmer, uncovered, until the water has absorbed and the grains are tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool down.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooled grains, chopped veggies, feta, and basil. Toss to fully combine. Drizzle in as much or as little of the vinaigrette as you'd like and season with dried oregano and chili flakes. Serve cold or at room temperature. Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.