I love a salad that eats like a meal.
It’s sort of my way of having something healthy but filling it with so many tasty ingredients that I don’t feel like I’m missing out! One of my favorites is an Italian Chopped Salad. Basically, it’s lettuce mixed with pizza toppings so you feel like you’re getting a treat but all those meats and veggies make it perfect for anyone on a high protein diet! Watch the video to see how I make mine and then scroll down for the full recipe! ~Rachel
Start by prepping all of your ingredients. The key to a great Italian chopped salad is that everything is a similar size once you chop it up.
Once all of your veggies are prepared add them all to a giant salad or mixing bowl. Now it’s time to prep your salad dressing. To make it easy I throw everything in a mason jar and shake it up… no whisk required!
If you plan on eating the whole salad add your dressing and toss it just before service. If you won’t finish all the salad that day then don’t add the dressing. Just keep it on the side and add before you eat it that way your salad won’t get soggy.
Once my salad is tossed I like to serve it in a different bowl (since my mixing bowl is typically covered with spills and dressing).
- 8 cups finely shredded lettuce (iceberg or romaine)
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup diced salami
- 1/2 cup diced pepperoni
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 1 (14oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 4 to 6 pepperoncini, sliced
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Toss together all of the salad ingredients in a large salad or mixing bowl. Toss with tongs to fully combine and get everything distributed evenly.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a mason jar. Cover tightly with lid and shake vigorously for about 1 minute (or so). Give it a taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
- Toss the salad with as much or as little dressing as you'd like. Serve right away.