Ever since I found these DIY popsicle stick bags I’ve been trying to figure out anything and everything I could turn into a popsicle stick! First, I made frozen yogurt pops for my boys, because it’s the perfect treat for them. Now, we have made Lava Flow popsicle sticks, because that’s the perfect treat for me! Pina Colada + Strawberry in popsicle form? Can I get an amen?! No? Ok, fine, just try the recipe, it’s super delicious! It’s also riff on our popular post, Lava Flow Cocktails!
Let’s start by getting our strawberry layer ready. In a small blender, combine the frozen berries and both rums.
In a separate small blender (or you can just blend the strawberry layer, transfer it to a pitcher and clean out the first blender) combine the pineapple, pineapple juice, coconut cream, ice, and a splash of rum.
Blend both until thick and well combined. You want to make sure it’s the right pouring consistency. If you find that they’re too thick, allow them to melt a bit before proceeding.
Using a funnel, pour a little bit of the strawberry mixture into the popsicle bag first, then top off with the pineapple mixture. Do not overfill or it’ll spill out of the bag really fast, so pour slowly.
Continue until both drink mixtures are used up.
Place you lava flow popsicle sticks in the freezer for at least 4 hours to fully chill. Do note though that because of the alcohol, the popsicles won’t ever fully freeze. But, they’ll be the perfect consistency to push up the bag.
You can easily change up the flavors of these pops by swapping out the frozen strawberries or any other frozen fruit.
- 4 oz coconut rum
- 4 oz light (white) rum
- 10 oz frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
- 8 oz pineapple juice
- 8 oz cream of coconut
- 2 cups crushed ice
- In a blender, combine coconut rum, light rum, and strawberries. Blend to a puree. Transfer to a clean pitcher.
- Clean and wash out blender. Add pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and crushed ice. Blend until smooth.
- Using a funnel, slowly pour a bit of the strawberry mixture first into the popsicle bag, then top off with a bit of the pineapple. Continue in this manner until both mixtures are done
- Freeze for at least 3 hours, but remember that because of the alcohol, they won't be fully frozen.