How good does this creamy chicken and mushrooms look?? Is anyone else as hungry for it as I am? This is the exact kind of dinner we love at our house. The garlic adds great flavor and the parsley really brightens the dish against the richness of the cream and butter. I serve it over rice and I try really hard not to eat the whole pot myself… I don’t always succeed.
It also makes awesome leftovers to take to lunch the next day. Let me know what y’all think!
Start by browning the chicken in a skillet with butter and oil. Cook until it’s fully browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
Once browned, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon, and add the onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until caramelized, about 8 minutes.
Sprinkle with flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring often. Slowly stir in the half and half and cook until the sauce thickens. Add the chicken back in and season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Garnish the creamy chicken and mushrooms with fresh chopped parsley and serve with fluffy white rice.
This Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms dish is great served over white rice, but try it with quinoa or brown rice for a more health-conscious meal.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken breast cutlets, cut into chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces crimini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups half and half or skim milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- fluffy white rice, for serving
- Set a large skillet over high heat with the butter and oil. Once melted, add the chicken all at once. Cook until browned on all sides, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon to a plate or platter.
- Add the onions, garlic, and mushrooms and cook until caramelized and brown, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top and stir to fully combine. Cook for about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the half and half. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika and add the chicken back in. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve on top of white fluffy rice.