We’ve all heard about monkey bread (or pull apart bread) being doused with cinnamon sugar and drizzled with icing. We’ve also seen the pizza monkey bread floating around the internet. I’m a fan of both of those varieties, myself. But now we’re bringing you something completely new and exciting. It’s the next level of monkey bread awesomeness!! Are you ready for it? Drumroll please….we’re presenting, Breakfast Monkey Bread. Yeah, you read that right. Monkey bread filled with delicious breakfast items, like scrambled eggs, potatoes, cheese and bacon.
We’re going to begin by scrambling the eggs with a splash of milk, salt and pepper. Then cook them in a skillet with a bit of butter, until they’re cooked through. Add the bacon and cooked tater tots (heated in the oven until crispy). Stir to evenly combine.
Let the mixture cool and then pop open some a can of biscuits. Cut each biscuit in half and then flatten a half to fill with the good stuff. Fill each piece with some of the breakfast filling, sprinkling a bit of cheese on top, and then roll the dough it into a ball. Place the filled dough into a greased bundt or tube pan. Brush the dough layers with melted butter and sprinkle with more cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350ºF oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and the biscuits are fully cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, before inverting onto a plate or platter.
While the monkey bread bakes, make a quick country gravy. In a small pot, melt some butter and heat the turkey sausage. Most stores carry already cooked through, crumbled turkey sausage. That’s what I used. Then add a bit of flour and cook for a few seconds. Whisk in the milk, lower the heat, season with salt and pepper, and cook stirring constantly until the gravy has thickened. If it’s too thick, add a splash more milk.
Serve the pull apart bread warm, with the country gravy on the side for dipping. It’s the perfect combination!
This didn’t last 10 minutes when we made it at the office, so I think it’s safe to say it was a hit. I see breakfast monkey bread in your near future. Enjoy!
- 3 cans (16.3 oz each) Pillsbury™ Grands!™ Homestyle refrigerated
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups tater tots, crisped in the oven
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup cooked turkey sausage, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a bundt or tube pan, set aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl with a splash of milk, salt and pepper. Cook in a skillet over medium heat, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the crisped bacon and tater tots. Allow to cool slightly.
- Cut the biscuits in half (or quarters if you want smaller pieces) and fill them with a bit of the egg filling. Form into a ball and place into the prepared pan. Stack them on top of each other, brushing each layer of rolled dough with melted butter and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a plate.
- To make the gravy: Melt a tablespoon of butter in a small pot. Heat the sausage through and add the flour. Stir and cook for a few seconds. Whisk in the milk and cook until the mixture has thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Serve alongside the monkey bread as a dipping sauce. Enjoy!