I’ve been on a grilling kick lately, trying desperately to grill anything and everything in sight. We’re kicking off grill season here at The Chic by showcasing a grilled recipe every Friday! To start things off, we’re taking a classic recipe, Strawberry Shortcake, and taking it to the grill.
We’re going to first grill the pound cake (store bought pound cake makes this super easy to make). You can do this on an outdoor grill or use a stovetop grill pan. Make sure it’s super hot, then grease it with a bit of oil or cooking spray. Grill the pound cake slices until grill marks form, about 2 minutes per side.
The next thing we need to do is make whipped cream. Make your own whipped cream, it’s super easy to make and lots of fun.
Assemble the grilled pound cake strawberry shortcakes by layering whipped cream onto half of the pound cake slices. Then top with sliced strawberries.
Sandwich the shortcakes with another slice of grilled pound cake on top. Sit back and relax with a fork and one of these delicious summer treats. Feel free to swap out the strawberries for any other fruit you like. Let us know what you think about this grilled dessert, by leaving a comment below. Enjoy!
- 1 store bought pound cake loaf, sliced into 8 slices
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- Heat an outdoor grill or stovetop grill to medium-high heat. Grease with cooking spray or vegetable oil. Grill the pound cake slices for about 2 minutes per side, or until golden grill marks form on both sides. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- Whip the cream in a large mixing bowl until somewhat thick. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue to beat until soft peaks form. Do not over-mix, or you'll end up making butter instead.
- Assemble the shortcakes by topping half of the pound cake slices with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Top each with the remaining pound cake slices. Eat right away. Enjoy!