Mediterranean tacos are a delicious new take on a classic recipe. Take some help from the store with packaged hummus and rotisserie chicken. Remember to keep things healthy by loading them up with lots of fresh vegetables, piled high on warmed pita bread.
We’re first going to make a quick little salad with fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion. I like to soak them with a bit of red wine vinegar and olive oil.
I cooked my own chicken breasts, but if you don’t have the time, feel free to use rotisserie from the grocery store!
Once all those components are ready, warm the pita bread in the oven. Then spread some store bought hummus all over the bottom. Add as much or as little as you’d like.
Top the hummus with a few slices of chicken, some shredded romaine lettuce and pieces of artichoke hearts. I rinsed and drained them out of the can.
Then you can add that cucumber, tomato and red onion salad we made earlier. Top it with slices of black olives (if you like them) and of course some cheese. Feta cheese is the perfect topping!
You can keep things vegetarian by omitting the chicken and just having the veggies. It’s a delicious alternative to regular tacos that your family is going to love!
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 container hummus
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and sliced (store bought rotisserie chicken)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained
- sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 pita breads
- In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to evenly combine and set to the side.
- Warm the pita bread in the oven or on the stove top. Spread a good amount of hummus on the bottom of each pita bread. Top with the chicken, lettuce, artichoke hearts, tomato/cucumber salad, olives and feta cheese. Fold up like a taco and enjoy!