These crispy hash brown cups almost made Jonathan hate me.
I had this vision for crispy hash browns with eggs and sausage and breakfast sides and he made it for me. And guys, what he made was delicious… but the hash browns weren’t crispy enough. So I was like “J, please don’t hate me, but how can we crispy up these potatoes?” So we tried again and this time our game plan was to cook them in individual egg cups so the hash would have the opportunity to get crunchy. The end result are these yum-tastic crispy hash brown cups which are adorable and delicious and should absolutely be part of you weekend breakfast menu.
Let’s start with the crispy hash brown part of the dish. Lightly grease a cupcake or muffin tin with cooking spray. Then press some of the shredded hash browns into each cupcake hole. You want the hash browns to come up and out of your muffin tin because the outside edge is the crispy part. Press up the sides and slightly coming out of each, so that the edges are extra crispy. Spray with cooking spray on top of each hash brown nest and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Then sprinkle with cheese and carefully crack one egg on top of each crispy hash brown cup.
Sprinkle with the cooked turkey breakfast sausage. You can find cooked breakfast sausage in most grocery stores! Return to the oven and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until the eggs are set but the yolk is still runny.
Allow to cool slightly and then garnish your crispy hash brown cups with avocado, salsa and cilantro right before serving.
You can easily make these vegetarian by omitting the sausage or if you don’t like sausage, try it with crumbled cooked bacon!
- 3 cups frozen shredded hashbrowns, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cooked crumbled breakfast sausage
- 2 large avocados, sliced
- 1 cup store-bought salsa
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a cupcake pan with cooking spray.
- Divide the shredded hash browns evenly among each cupcake hole. Press down and up the sides with your hands as best you can. Grease the tops with more cooking spray and season with a bit of salt and pepper on each. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle each with cheese and then carefully crack one egg on top of each. Sprinkle with the sausage and return to oven. Bake until the egg whites have set but the yolks are still runny, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before removing each from the cupcake pan.
- Serve with a scoop of salsa, avocado slice and cilantro. You can even add sour cream.