True story: slow cooker chicken artichoke soup is my lunch at least three days a week. No, seriously. The Whole Foods near Chic HQ makes it and I happen to think it’s the most delicious thing on this planet. I have it so often I finally decided I had to know how to make it for myself. And then I realized, wait a minute I literally employ a chef who could figure this out for me!!
So once again, Jonathan is totally knocking it out of the park for me with this incredible recipe and you guys are going to die. As in, die because slow cooker chicken artichoke soup is your new favorite food too. Can’t wait to hear what y’all think!
Start by placing the onion, garlic, bell pepper, spinach, artichoke, carrots, celery, salt and pepper in the slow cooker. You can throw them all in raw, or cook them in a skillet with a tablespoon of oil for about 5 to 8 minutes. Then transfer the cooked veggies to the bowl of your slow cooker.
Toss in the chicken stock, sherry cooking wine, lemon juice, chicken, and fresh herbs. To make this even easier for you, use store-bought rotisserie chicken!
Cover and let cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for about 3 to 4 hours. Stir every once in a while to ensure that nothing sticks to the bowl.
Meanwhile, as the soup cooks, before the time is up, cook up a pot of rice on the stove according to package directions. I used an arborio rice. About 30 minutes before the soup is done, stir in the cooked rice and parsley. Cook for the remaining 30 minutes.
Give the slow cooker chicken artichoke soup a taste and adjust the seasoning according to your preferred taste, adding more salt and pepper as needed.
The soup will get better tasting the longer it sits, so the great news is that if you make it and have leftovers, it will taste even better the next day.
Start the New Year right by making easy meals that are good for you. With the help of your slow cooker, you can have a meal that your whole family will love, without much effort!
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) bag baby spinach, chopped
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cooking Sherry
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken, deboned and cut into small pieces or shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup cooked Arborio or long grain rice
- In the bowl of your slow cooker, combine all of the ingredients except for the rice and parsley. Cook on low for about 6 to 8 hours or on high for about 3 to 4 hours.
- Alternatively, to add a bit more flavor, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté the onions, garlic, carrots, celery, bell pepper, artichokes, and spinach until soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of your slow cooker and then stir in all of the ingredients except for the parsley and rice.
- 30 minutes before the soup is done, stir in the cooked rice and fresh chopped parsley, continue cooking for the remaining half hour. Give the soup a taste and adjust seasoning accordingly, adding more salt or pepper as needed.