Man, I am HERE for this meal. I’ve been making spinach chicken bake for a decade now and back in the day — and by “day” I mean, a loooong time ago, like eight years ago when Ford was this deliciously plump little baby — I thought it would be really fun to make a video with him showing off my skills. I wanted to prove it was possible to make dinner with a baby on my hip, so I filmed a video making my spinach chicken bake just like that. It’s safe to say my content has certainly changed since then and there’s no need to show anyone that video like ever, but I did want to share this recipe with you all! If you saw our first episode on Quibi this week (don’t forget you can sign up for a 90-day free trial!), then you know this is one of my favorite recipes to make. Be sure to tag me on Instagram @msrachelhollis if you make this recipe and let me know what you think.
Let’s start by sautéing the spinach and mushrooms in a little bit of olive oil until the spinach and mushrooms have wilted.
Add the diced tomatoes and allow to cook down until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, season the chicken liberally with salt and black pepper and set in a single layer, in a baking dish that has been lightly greased. Top with two slices of provolone cheese on each.
Carefully spoon the veggies and sauce over the chicken to completely cover it. Throw the liquid in as well.
Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes in a preheated 375 degree F oven or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of about 165 degrees F with a food thermometer.
Serve the spinach chicken bake alongside a simple salad or a bed of rice or even mixed steamed vegetables. You’ll have dinner ready in no time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and sauté the spinach and mushrooms until wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with a bit of salt and black pepper. Stir in the tomatoes and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish and set the chicken in a single layer. Season with salt and black pepper. Lay 2 slices of cheese on top of each chicken breast, and pour the sauce and veggies over the chicken.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.