Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup, sounds complicated right? Well no, it’s not! It’s actually super easy to whip up. Just throw a couple cans of black beans, stock, spices and sautéed veggies into a slow cooker, set and forget. Leave it cooking all day before you head out to work and then come home to a delicious smelling house and an even better tasting dinner!
The hardest part to this recipe is chopping and sautéing the veggies. Dice them really small and throw them into a skillet. Cook until soft. You can lightly season them with a bit of salt and pepper, if you’d like. We will be adding more later on so don’t over do it.
It’s time to add everything to the slow cooker and go from there.
Place the lid on it and forget about it for a few hours. You can set it on low and cook for 6 hours or set on high and cook for about 3 hours.
Halfway, or towards the end, you can smash some of the beans with the back of a spoon, or potato masher to allow the soup to thicken up somewhat.
You can serve with an array of different toppings. I recommend dolloping some sour cream, cheese, avocado, tomato and cilantro. Maybe even a couple dashes of hot sauce, if you’re feeling brave. Don’t forget about some tortilla chips for dunking. Enjoy!
- 5 cans black beans, (drain 3 of the cans, and reserve the liquid of 2 cans)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeño, minced (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- avocado, diced
- tomatoes, diced
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, and sauté the veggies until tender, about 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the beans, sautéed veggies, stock, and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours or on high for 3 hours. About an hour before, you can smash some of the beans to help thicken the soup. Serve with any or all of those toppings listed. Enjoy!