I don’t understand people who don’t like meatloaf. I am a huge fan of any scenario where meat gets mixed up with other delicious ingredients and baked in a pan! It’s why I go out of my way to make things like cheeseburger meatloaf or balsamic bacon meatloaf and why I’m always on the lookout for some new way to reinvent this dish from my childhood. Which is why were here, whipping up this recipe for Southwestern taco meatloaf!
Start by mixing together all of your meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl.
If you want an added kick of Tex-Mex, add some drained black beans and thawed frozen corn in too! We went all out and added them in as well.
Once you mix everything together well enough, transfer the mixture to a baking sheet lined with foil paper and then shape it into a loaf type log. You want to make sure that it’s even in size so that it all cooks evenly.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hr. Carefully remove it from the oven and sprinkle the top with lots of shredded cheese. Return to the oven and cook for about 15 minutes longer.
Once your southwestern taco meatloaf comes out for the last time, sprinkle the top with fresh tomato, pickled jalapeños, and cilantro. It’ll just give it that last finishing touch that you need to take things over the top.
Carefully cut the meatloaf and serve it right away. This would make a great sandwich the next day with lettuce and tomato, or you can break it up a bit and mix it with eggs and make breakfast tacos the next morning.
- 2 pounds ground sirloin or beef
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup store-bought salsa
- 1 cup cooked leftover rice
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil, for easier clean-up, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, garlic, tortilla chips, salsa, rice, black beans, corn, and taco seasoning. Mix until well combined and then transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet. Shape into a large loaf and bake for about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle the top with cheese, and return to oven to bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Garnish the top with fresh diced tomato, pickled jalapeños, and cilantro. Cut and serve immediately.
Speaking of dinner, check out our Casseroles Pinterest Board for more hearty supper ideas! It’s loaded with great recipes you need to try ASAP!
Check this video out on how to make the perfect Cucumber Kiwi Mojitos to accompany your Tex-Mex Meatloaf!