I have been making these foil grilled potatoes for years… it only just occurred to me that you guys would like the recipe as much as I do!
For one thing, it’s basically the easiest side dish that I know of to make on the grill. And for another, it’s DELICIOUS! Like, punch you in your face with flavor delicious. You have to try these with our Italian Dressing Grilled Chicken recipe and a roasted corn salad!
These foil grilled potatoes are awesome with peppers and onions, but whenever I don’t have those on hand I make it with just potatoes and seasoning… still awesome!
Start by firing up your grill to medium heat. Next, mix together your potatoes, peppers and onions and then season well with salt and pepper.
Now it’s time to make that magical butter mixture! Mix your room temperature butter with the chopped dill and the garlic.
Spray a square of foil (I tear off about a 12″ square) with non-stick cooking spray. Place the potato/pepper mixture in the center the square and add a big dollop of your butter. Smaller packets will cook faster or you can put it all in one big foil square with a bunch of dollops of butter and cook it together. It’s honestly pretty hard to screw this recipe up.
Place foil packets on the grill with the opening facing up so your melted butter can’t drip out. Grill until the potatoes are fork tender. For my grill that’s about ten to fifteen minutes, but keep an eye on yours the first time you make it to make sure you don’t over cook. I like to sprinkle it with a little garlic salt just before serving.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic, dill, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, pinch of paprika, until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, onion, bell peppers, salt, pepper, and paprika until evenly combined. Divide the mixture evenly among 6 to 8 sheets of foil. Top with a dollop of butter on top of each and then fold them into packets, making sure to seal them well.
- Place the packets on a hot outdoor grill, cover with the lid, and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes until softened. OR you can bake them in a preheated 375 degree F oven on a baking sheet, for about 20 to 25 minutes.