One of my ALL time favorite treats is a cinnamon crumb coffee cake. It usually reminds me of when I was in elementary school and they’d serve us a big square piece of that cake. We’ve taken that classic morning bread and turned it into an incredible cookie, Coffee Cake Cookies! They’re super easy to make, too!
We’re going to start by making the crumb topping for the cookies. Mix together the sugars, flour, salt, cinnamon and cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Set that off to the side and work on the cookie dough itself. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars, until fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time, and stir in the vanilla extract. At the very end, mix in the dry ingredients, and stir until the dough comes together.
Scoop out large rounds of dough (using a medium-sized ice cream scoop) onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, making sure to make an indentation in the center of the cookie mounds.
Then add a rounded spoonful of the crumb topping on each cookie, right in the center.
Bake until golden brown around the edges and the centers appear to be set. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on baking sheets. Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool down completely.
Dust with powdered sugar, if you want to make them really authentic. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set to the side.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the crumb topping. Using your hands or a fork (or pastry blender) rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon (for the cookie dough). In a separate bowl, cream together the butter, brown and granulated sugars, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at at time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients in batches, and stir until the dough comes together.
- Using a medium ice cream scoop, portion out large rounds of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, make sure to leave enough space in between. Make an indentation in the center of each cookie and sprinkle a rounded spoonful of the crumb topping. Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on baking sheets. Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool down completely.
- Dust cooled cookies with powdered sugar, and enjoy!