If you had asked me ten, or even five years ago if I could walk you through my favorite supplements or the vitamins I like to take, I would have laughed. Actually, first I would have paused in my attempt to get the biggest bite possible of my Famous Star with Cheese and then I would have laughed. My younger self’s attempt at “taking care” of my health was so minimal as to be non-existant. Every week or so I’d remember to take a multi vitamin and then pat myself on the back for the valiant effort. Then, about a year and a half ago I got really sick with vertigo (something I’m still working through now) and I realized I could not demand so much from my body and not do anything to help it along.
I got serious about my diet, my exercise and my favorite supplements. So, when Zarbees reached out to see if I wanted to write a post about what I take to keep myself healthy I was like, “Heck yes and boy do I ever!” I will preface this post by saying that I am not a doctor nor am I a nutritionist, these are just the things that work for me. So please always consult a real live medical professional (not just your favorite lifestyle blogger) before you make any decisions about what to take. Also, I’m going to get really real about why I take these and what they’re for. So, if it’s going to freak you out if I talk about my urinary tract health then turn back now, thar be monsters ahead.
1. Probiotic – Probiotics are something I learned about from Cortnee (our resident health guru at Chic). According to Cort, this is the good bacteria that you want in your intestines. Technically they help to break down the waste, so it can move through your system with ease. In other words, *cough cough* they help with digestion.
2. Fish Oil – Years ago my doctor recommended both Dave and I start on fish oil capsules. They’re great for your heart and so, I take one every night before bed.
3. Ginkgo – Ginkgo is really great for focus and concentration. It increases blood flow to the brain and is a great antioxidant. That being said, it’s probably a little bit of a placebo for me too. I take one of these after lunch and I’m instantly like, I feel so much more focused! I’m sure this is mostly in my mind, but who cares?
4. Coconut Oil – Coconut oil has so many positive attributes I can’t even list them all. Originally I started taking it because there was some buzz about it possibly helping with symptoms of vertigo. I’m fairly certain that’s totally bunk, but it’s so good for you that I just made it part of my regular routine. I take two capsules every day after lunch.
5. Cranberry Extract – Ok, let’s keep it real ladies. I run long distances multiple times a week. About the time I started running was about the same time I started getting bladder and urinary tract infections all the time. They weren’t terrible, just noticeable enough to be annoying. So, now I take two cranberry extract tablets every day and the problem has gone away.
6. Zarbee’s Supplements – For the longest time I had a packet of immunity powder everyday in an attempt to stave off catching a cold or a flu from my kids. The crazy thing you realize if you look at the back of those packs though is how many sugars and ingredients I can’t even pronounce are mixed in. That can’t be healthy! Originally I started using Zarbee’s products for my kids because they’re made with all natural ingredients and the powder blend dissolves quickly in water, which means giving the boys vitamins is so simple. But, now I love the supplements for myself because of that very reason. They have little packets for everything from immunity boost to helping you fall asleep at night (thank you chamomile!) I’m a big fan of the line.
7. Multivitamin – A daily multivitamin is the most important, right? Even if you take nothing else ladies make sure you’re getting this in!
8. B-12 – I started taking B-12 as part of my running essentials. Since it always makes me feel so awake and energized I thought it would be an awesome addition to my workout routine. There’s a good chance this is like my ginkgo with the whole placebo situation, but whatever, it totally works!
Another little trick of mine? I store all my daily vitamins in a cute jar on my desk at work. This wouldn’t ever work at home because the baby would try and get at it, but at the office it’s a great visual reminder to take them!
Zarbee’s Naturals are available exclusively at Target as part of the Made to Matter program. You can find them in the cough aisle.