What do you get when you smash together two delicious cheesy dishes? A classic grilled cheese with the comfort of leftover lasagna? You end up with one delicious sandwich, Lasagna Grilled Cheese! It’s the ultimate grilled cheese and I’m excited to share it with you guys.
We wanted the flavor of garlic bread to go into this grilled cheese because it just made sense. So the first step is to make a really simple garlic butter to spread on the bread before we cook the sandwiches.
Sprinkle two slices of bread with lots of mozzarella cheese. I know lasagna already has cheese in it, but I don’t think there’s ever such a thing as too much cheese. Then cut a piece of your leftover lasagna from the night before, and slap it on top of one of the slices.
Sandwich them all together and repeat with the rest of the sandwiches, placing them onto a platter or baking sheet to have them ready to griddle.
Spread both sides of the grilled cheese with a generous amount of the garlic butter we made earlier. I like to spread the top piece, lay it on the skillet face down and then spread the other side.
Cook in a hot skillet (in batches) for a few minutes on each side or until golden brown and crusty, and the cheese has melted.
So next time you can’t think of something to do with that leftover lasagna, remember that this grilled cheese exists. Give it a try and enjoy!
- 6 sliced French bread
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- pinch of paprika
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 thin slices leftover lasagna
- In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, garlic, and paprika until well mixed together.
- Sprinkle each slice of bread with cheese. Lay down a slice of lasagna onto half of the slices. Sandwich them together. Spread both sides with a generous amount of garlic butter.
- Cook in a hot skillet, in batches, for a few minutes or until golden brown and crispy on both sides. Enjoy!