Tater tots are mighty delicious and incredible all on their own. We know this. Somehow we wanted to take them to the next level and the only way we knew how, was to top it with lots of sloppy joe, cheese (of course) and tomato slices (because we should be somewhat healthy). They’re super easy to make, using store bought frozen tater tots!
Spread out the frozen tater tots onto a baking sheet lined with foil (to make cleaning easier), and bake in a 350 degree F oven until crispy and golden brown.
In the meantime, make the sloppy joe mixture.
Once the meat has browned, and the onions and red bell peppers have softened, add the remaining ingredients to the skillet. Reduce the heat, and allow to simmer for about 3o minutes. If you like a little sweetness in your sloppy joes, add a spoonful of brown sugar, it’s completely optional, but I think it makes the dish!
Transfer the crispy tater tots to a serving dish and top with the sloppy joe mixture. Don’t forget about the cheese and tomato slices!
Allow the cheese to melt from the heat of the sloppy joes, and then serve right away. It could be great as a dinner, with a salad on the side, or steamed broccoli or something. You could also just make it as a side to any supper. Either way, you’ll enjoy it!
- 1 bag frozen tater tots
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and Spread out the frozen tater tots. Bake in a 350 degree F oven until crispy and golden brown
- To make the sloppy joes, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned and crispy. Stir in the chopped onion and red bell pepper, and continue to cook until soft. Add the seasonings, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce and reduce the heat. Simmer on low for half an hour.
- To serve, transfer the hot tater tots to a plate and top with sloppy joe mixture. Sprinkle with the cheese and sliced tomatoes. Enjoy!