I wanted to try my hand at making an Irish dish and decided to mash it together with one of my favorite recipes to create this deliciousness… I’m calling it Shepherd’s Pot Pie! I used hamburger meat, mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese and store bought pie dough to create this dinner that you have to try! Watch the video below to hear the story then scroll down for the recipe. ~Rachel
Start by browning your hamburger meat over medium heat. Then prep your veggies and add them to the mixture per the recipe instructions at the bottom of the post.
Now it’s time for flavor! This means the sauce, stock and spice get cooked along with everything else. Once everything is cooked together shut off the heat and set to the mixture to the side.
Now you need to mash your potatoes and then it’s time to assemble your Shepherd’s Pot Pie.
The meat goes into the bottom of a pie plate. Add the mashed potatoes on top. I suggest adding three big spoonfuls of potatoes and then spreading them around like you’d ice a cake. Next sprinkle on the cheese. I used cheddar but almost any cheese would be yummy in this Shepherd’s Pot Pie.
Roll out a store bought pie crust on top of your mashed potatoes. Next pinch around the edges of the pie plate to make sure your pie crust stays in place.
Mix together an egg and some water (I just whisk it together with a fork), then use a pastry brush to brush it all over the dough… this is how you get that golden brown crust! Cut four slits for ventilation, then I like to finish with some fresh cracked black pepper. Pop it in the oven and get ready to enjoy!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 9-inch pie crust (store bought)
- 1 egg, whisked with a splash of water
- Place the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes and mash with the butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking down with a wooden spoon, until browned and crispy. Drain excess fat if necessary. Add the veggies and cook for another 10 minutes to soften. Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, thyme, rosemary, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Add the flour and cook for a few seconds. Stir in the stock and cook until thick.
- Place the beef filling into a 9-inch pie dish. Top with the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Place the pie crust on top of the potatoes, pressing the dough to the edge of the pie dish to somewhat seal. Brush the top liberally with the egg wash, make a few slits on the top to allow steam to escape and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve and enjoy.