Last year I asked Jonathan to help me figure out this recipe for Slow Cooker Easter Ham just in time for Easter. And since we’ve figured out that recipe I think it’s only fair to show you what to do with your leftover ham.
I mean, obviously, ham sandwiches and ham and egg casseroles are delicious. But if you really want to knock it out the park, you’ve got to try this Leftover Easter Ham and Potato Soup! We brought in potatoes and cheddar cheese and a little milk to give it a creaminess that you’re going to love! I can’t wait to hear what y’all think!
Sauté the veggies in a large pot with the butter until soft and beginning to brown.
Season the veggies with salt and pepper and then add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Stir in the ham to warm through.
In a separate pot, melt some butter and stir together with the flour. Cook for about 1 minute and then whisk in the milk. Cook until thickened.
Stir the thickened cream into the soup and stir until well combined. Bring to a simmer and allow the soup to thicken. Stir in the peas and shredded cheese.
Cook until the cheese has melted through and serve!
You can definitely make this ham and potato soup with sliced ham from the store if you don’t have any leftover.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 3 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped leftover ham
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Set a large pot over medium-high heat with 3 tablespoons butter. Once melted, add in the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. Cook for about 8 minutes, until softened. Add the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Stir in the chicken stock and ham and bring to a simmer.
- In a separate pot, melt the remaining butter and stir in the flour. Cook for about 1 minute. Then whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer. Continue to cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the thickened milk into soup and add the peas and cheese. Cook until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.