At Chic we’re strong believers that healthy recipes don’t have to be bland and boring. They can totally be fun, exciting and packed with flavor! These Burrito Bowls are no exception. They’re made with all the filling and topping options we love in burritos but without that guilty tortilla. Whip these up for a quick, healthy and satisfying dinner any night of the week!
The first we need to do is make the rice. You can keep things simple and make a plain white rice if you’d like, or you can mix white rice with lemon zest, lemon juice and chopped cilantro for a cilantro-lime rice! I decided to go Tex-Mex with this one and made red rice, which is actually super easy to make.
While the rice cooks go ahead and make the ground turkey filling. In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey (crumbling it with a wooden spoon) until brown and crispy. Add in the sliced peppers and onions and cook until soft and caramelized. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, garlic and paprika. Lower the heat and keep warm.
Then focus your attention to the toppings.
Once all the components are ready, you’re ready to assemble the bowls! Spoon rice into the bottom of each bowl.
Top with the browned turkey, peppers and onions.
Spoon in any kind of canned beans (warmed in a pot) you like. I used black beans!
Then top off with any other burrito toppings you like! Sour cream, avocado, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeños…go crazy!
The great thing about these burrito bowls is that you can customize them any way you’d like. If you have picky eaters at home that don’t like certain toppings/fillings then you can switch things up for everyone so that they all get exactly what they want!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup rice
- 1 (7 ounce) can Mexican-style tomato sauce
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- tortilla chips for serving
- Heat a medium sauce pot (with a lid) over medium-high heat. Add in 1 tablespoon olive oil and allow to heat up. Stir in the rice and sauté for a few minutes to lightly toast. Season with 1 teaspoon salt. Pour the tomato sauce into a glass measuring cup and fill with water to reach the 2 cup mark. Add the tomato/water mixture to the rice and stir to evenly combine. Cook until the liquid has almost absorbed completely. Cover, lower the flame to as low as it'll go and cook for about 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the ground turkey and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until brown and crispy. Add in the sliced peppers and onions and cook until soft. Season with 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, cumin, paprika and garlic. Lower the flame and cook for a few minutes more.
- To assemble the bowls, spoon rice at the bottom of each bowl. Top with meat, peppers, onions, beans, and any additional toppings you'd like! Enjoy!