Have you ever noticed how certain kinds of food become trendy?
For a while brussels sprouts were EVERYWHERE. Then kale become the new “it” veggie. Because I’m a foodie nerd I always try and figure out what’s going to trend next and a couple of months ago I made my choice. I sent Jonathan a crazed text one night while dining in New York. Balsamic Roasted Carrots!! I scream-texted at him. Roasted carrots are going to be the next thing.
I’m 99% sure I’m right since I see all kinds of chefs and restaurants putting roasted carrots on their menus as some kind of retro throwback. But even if I’m wrong I still made Jonathan come up with our version of this recipe. Guys, these are beyond good. They’ll make the perfect side dish for upcoming holiday dinners or even a weeknight supper. You have to try them!
Start by peeling and trimming the ends off of your baby carrots. Place them on a baking sheet and toss with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Roast in a 375 degree F oven until charred and crispy, about 15 to 20 minutes. They should be fork tender. Flip over halfway through roasting, to evenly brown.
Meanwhile, make the lemon ricotta. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper until smooth.
Cover and chill until ready to use. About 5 minutes before the carrots are done, remove from the oven and top with the bread crumbs and parsley. Return to the oven and cook for the remaining 5 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool down slightly before serving. The great thing about these balsamic roasted carrots is that you can serve them warm or at room temperature.
Serve warm with the sauce on top of the carrots or on the side for dipping.
- For the carrots
- 2 pounds baby carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the carrots on a baking sheet and toss around with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Shake the pan to get the carrots in a single layer. Roast until charred and crispy, about 15 to 20 minutes. 5 minutes before the carrots are done, remove from the oven and top with the bread crumbs and parsley. Return to oven for remaining 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the ricotta, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper until evenly combined.
- Serve the carrots warm with the ricotta on top or on the side for dipping.
Need a yummy dinner recipe? How about this Pasta Bake?